Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Real good moments at Sunsilk Real FM Indibloggers Meet: A Movie review

There was a special email in my inbox on a friday morning. I had a raging fever and was racked with body pain but when I went through the mail from Indiblogger, I knew I had to get out of bed and get it on for a dose of girl power at the special tri-city screening.

Now this is the first official film review I am writing in spite of my great love affair with films of all kinds.
If I could do just one thing in life, I could spend it watching movies from all over the world. I finally reached the venue after stopping at the wrong Tivoli property on Chattarpur Mandir Road, to find the red carpet laid out, box office and popcorn all in place.

Signed in, got my ticket to the show and found a comfortable seat!
I also helped myself to some coffee and popcorn and made way to the photo-booth cum RJ console to put on my best smile! Let me tell you, I outdid myself and the picture taken by my sister Kuvelu won me a Shoppers Stop voucher worth Rs. 1000 as one of the best pics of the lot at the Indiblogger meet.
The winning pic!
Okay. So the movie Real FM takes you through the trials and tribulations of Rhea who has to take extreme measures when her father suffers a heart attack leaving his beloved Radio Channel in jeopardy. Rhea shows how, with a loyal circle of friends, some fresh ideas and a never say never attitude, you can turn things around in one single day and even get ahead in life while at it.

Rhea's father's financial woes wears him out as his crew and staff stages a walk out demanding a raise bringing the broadcasting to a standstill on Independence day when a special broadcast is scheduled. Rhea has to take matters in her hand when her boyfriend, Sameer, who holds the confidence of her father also leaves them in the lurch.

She ropes in her dear friends Saloni and Natasha to help her run the radio station for a day and in the process, they all learn life's lessons as they come to terms with their own realities and find out what freedom and independence really mean. To keep the radio channel going, the girls use social media and the internet to the hilt with google coming to the rescue.

Rhea and co decides to do something different. They decide to bring different music from all of the country's 28 unique states to the studio in celebration of the country's Independence day. In the process, Rhea finds that she can trust herself to be strong in the face of pain and do the right thing. The Chartered Accountant turned standup comedian finds out that he can laugh at himself and be funny too when he learns to be himself.
Saloni, the hesitant nightingale finally finds her voice through music and learns to say Yes to living life on her terms and No to the unreasonable restrictions laid down by her father. Natasha and her sister Aakansha also learn to set aside their differences and find their sisterhood's happy groove again.

Some real moments and effortless acting allows for a pleasurable watch. The peppy songs gives the entire movie an uplifting feel and acts as a very exciting geography lesson on our Country's cultural wealth and varied demographic. Considering that my hindi is pretty weak, the acting was authentic enough for me to bypass having to watch it again to grab the finer nuances of the movie.

I felt warm when references were made to the lesser known parts of the country like the Northeastern states of Tripura and Nagaland and real voices of regional dialects were included. There were no occasions for flinches and many lines from the movies resonated with the audience as we all hooted with laughter and agreed firmly with sentiments expressed through out, including booing out the cop with doubtful intentions and the goons who turned quite brotherly and protective towards Rhea post a hit rendition of their song from Chattisgarh.

Anurag Basu has succeeded in uniting the country with a feel good movie with a strong base on music while celebrating the spirit of independence by highlighting the courage of three young women as they come of age. These women represent the youth, talent and realities of progressive women of India.

So, three + one girls with great silky hair save the day with some delightful ideas centred around music and even get a super duper deal for the radio channel. And maybe now, Sameer can redeem himself in front of Rhea for a sequel while the providential invisible brother gets revealed too.

As for me, I happily tucked into the delicious dinner at the Meet as I made more friends among the many bloggers who came for the meet and also took home a basket of goodies from the wonderful people at Sunsilk and a flipkart voucher for a tweet about the movie. Time to try out my own bottle of Sunsilk for some life changing inspiration. Thank you Indiblogger for enriching my otherwise unremarkable weekdays.










17 comments:

  1. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete